Cost Effective. User-Friendly. Introducing the Peak200.
Woodward’s Peak200 planned release date for all models, without the INMETRO certification, is March 7, 2017. The planned release date for all models, with the INMETRO (Brazil) certification, is May 2017.
- Field Configurable
- Integrated graphical operator control panel
- Simple to install, configure & operate
- Integrated first-out problem indicator
- Trip and Alarm event recorder
- Internal Turbine Simulator
- Adaptive PID controller
- Real-time clock synchronization via SNTP
- Ethernet & Serial communications
- Same form-fit-function as previous Peak150 controller
- Bulkhead & Front Panel Mount versions available
- Sulfur-resistant conformal coating
- Certified for Hazardous Locations
The Woodward Peak200 controller is designed to operate small single valve or single valve rack based industrial steam turbines. This cost effective steam turbine controller includes specifically designed algorithms and logic to start, stop, control, and protect small industrial steam turbines or turbo-expanders driving compressors, pumps, or industrial fans.
The Peak200 control’s unique PID structure makes it ideal for applications where it is required to control steam plant parameters like turbine speed, turbine load, turbine inlet header pressure, turbine exhaust header pressure, pump flow, or compressor discharge, or suction pressure.
The control’s special PID-to-PID logic allows stable control during normal turbine operation and bumpless control mode transfers during plant upsets, minimizing process over or undershoot conditions. The Peak200 controller senses turbine speed via passive speed probes and controls the steam turbine through an actuator connected to the turbine inlet steam valve(s). Peak 200 includes Woodward’s patented adaptive PID controller that allows users automatic calculation for optimum dynamic gains at their individual plant system.
Designed to function as a plant DCS node the Peak200 controller can be configured to interface with the plant DCS via hardwired inputs/output signals or serial or Ethernet communications. With the capability to monitor and control all turbine and driven equipment based functions (i.e. bearing temperatures, vibration levels, control oil levels, etc.) the Peak200 controller is ideal for use as a cost-effective turbine control/protection as well as plant DCS monitoring node.
Alternatively the Peak200 can be configured to accept a remote turbine speed/load demand from the plant DCS via a 4-20mA signal, discrete raise/lower commands, or Ethernet or Serial Modbus communications.
The Peak200 control also includes a special “Cascade” PID control function that can be optionally configured and used to control any system process, related to or affected by turbine speed or load. Typically, this controller is configured and used to control turbine inlet header pressure, turbine exhaust header pressure, pump flow, or compressor discharge, or suction pressure. The Cascade PID compares a 4–20 mA process signal with an internal set point to directly position the Speed PID controller’s setpoint, thus changing turbine speed or load until the process signal and set point match. By cascading these two PIDs in this fashion, bumpless transfers can be performed as well as turbine min/max.
Ethernet and serial communications allow users to easily connect the Peak200 in to plant or process control system. All controller inputs, outputs, and statuses can be monitored and all start/stop or enable/disable commands can be given through industry standard Modbus TCP or OPC protocols. The Peak200 uses SNTP (synchronized network time protocol) over Ethernet to allow users to synchronize the Peak200’s real-time clock to the plant distributed control system.
- Dual dynamics (Speed PID)
- Adaptive speed/load PID dynamics
- Cascade PID (turbine/driven equipment pressures or flows)
- Manual or auto start sequence
- First-Out indication (alarms & shutdowns)
- Peak speed Indication for overspeed trip
- Multi-lingual Display (English & Additional Languages TBD)
- Remote analog setpoints for Speed/Load & Cascade
- Bearing temperature monitoring/alarms/trips
- Vibration monitoring/alarms/trips
- Overspeed protection logic & test capability
- Critical speed band protection (1 band)
- First-out Indication (5 individual shutdown inputs)
- Bearing temperature alarm and trip settings
- Turbine vibration alarm and trip settings
- Control CPU & memory failure detection logic
- Mode login level password security
The Peak200 control is designed to function as the turbine control, system sequencer, operator control panel, and first-out indicator. This encompassing design minimizes external system devices as well as system installation, wiring, and troubleshooting. This field configurable controller allows major functional changes to be made at site, often by knowledgeable plant personnel, and minor functional changes to be online as process changes require. The Peak200 control’s first-out-indicator logic indicates internal as well as external system related alarm and shutdown conditions, greatly simplifying and reducing system troubleshooting.
The Peak200 controls can communicate directly with plant Distributed Control Systems and/or operator control panels, through two
Ethernet ports using Modbus TCP or UDP communication protocols or via a serial Modbus port. The Peak200’s serial port supports RS-232 or RS-485
communications using ASCII or RTU Modbus protocols. Communications between the Peak200 and a plant DCS can also be performed through hardwired connections.
- Turbine Speed/Load control
- Inlet Header Pressure control
- Turbine inlet/exhaust header pressure control
- Pump flow/pressure control
- Compressor flow/pressure control
- LinkNet-HT Modules – Optionally users can apply Woodward distributed I/O modules to extend the Peak200 controller’s input and output channels.
- Vibration Sensor Kit – Optionally users can apply 4-20mA accelerometer sensors with the Peak200 to monitor unit vibration levels and alarm & trip on high vibration events. Refer to product manual for related kit part numbers.
- RemoteView – Woodward’s RemoteView software program once installed on a computer or touch panel can be used as an engineering workstation and or remote operator control panel.
- Stored Trend/Log File Service Tool – Woodward’s Control Assistant software service tool can be used to view real-time trends, saved trend files, upload and download Peak200 configuration files and alarm/trip logs
- –20 to +65°C (-20 to 70°C for Panel Mount Version) ambient air temperature range
- Humidity: 5% to 95% non-condensing Lloyd’s ENV2 test #1
- Dry heat: Lloyd’s ENV3
- Salt fog: US MIL-STD-810 method 509.2 procedure 1, Type 4X Enclosure UL50E 8.9 corrosion protection test ASTM B117
- Shock: 10G, 3x axis per Woodward MS2 procedure
- Vibration: 1.04Grms, industrial skid mount per Woodward RV5
- Particulate Pollution Resistance: IEC 60664-1 Pollution Degree 2 (Normally only non-conductive pollution occurs).
- Gaseous Pollution Resistance: Module conformal coating withstands NO2, CO2, SO2, and H2S gases
- Will withstand levels typical of telecommunications and computer installations as defined by Battelle Labs Class III (between IEC60721-3-3 classification
- 3C1 and 3C2, light industrial to urban industrial, heavy traffic).
To learn more about the features, specs, and compliance, click here to download the Product Specification.
- Older Post
- Newer Post
Leave a comment